Yesterday at INTERPHEX, attendees had the opportunity to meet representatives from the category winners of the Facility of the Year Awards (FOYA) at a reception. The awards program, now in its fifth year, recognizes companies that advance pharmaceutical manufacturing technology. INTERPHEX and ISPE are among the sponsors of the awards.
The category winners, as announced in January, for 2009 are:
- Aseptic Technologies, located in Gembloux, Belgium, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Equipment Innovation
- Centocor Biologics Ireland, located in Ringaskiddy, Cork, Ireland, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Sustainability
- Centocor R&D Schaffhausen, located in Schaffhausen, Switzerland, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Facility Integration
- Hameln Pharma, located in Hameln, Germany, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Operational Excellence
- Orchid Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals, located in Aurangabad, India, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Regional Excellence
- Roche Pharma Biotech Production Basel, located in Basel, Switzerland, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Project Execution
- Additionally, GlaxoSmithKline Manufacturing was awarded an Honorable Mention for the company’s project in Verona, Italy.
Among the winners at yesterday’s reception were Thornton Lewis and John Lambe, representing Centocor Biologics, who walked visitors through a short video presentation of the BioCork project, category winner for Facility of the Year Award for Sustainability. The video showed an overview of several of the facility’s internal energy-efficient features as well as external views of the building and the large piece of land on which it sits. Lewis and Lambe explained how the project team worked to minimize the facility’s impact on the local environment by designing a visually appealing skyline and planting 70,000 trees and plants.
The reception took place in aisle 1100 of the show floor, where each winner presented a display of the company’s achievements. Also on display was the award for the overall winner of the Facility of the Year, which will be presented at ISPE’s 2009 Annual Meeting, November 8-11 in San Diego.